Friday, April 13, 2012
District Twelve - Coal Miner's Chocolate Whoppie Pie
Ingredients for batter:
1 package (18-1/4 ounces) white cake mix
1/2 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Ingredients for filling:
2/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup 2% milk
1/2 cup chocolate chips
2/3 cup shortening
1/3 cup butter, softened
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
1. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, oil and vanilla; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes (mixture will be sticky).
2. Drop by 2 tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 9-11 minutes or until edges are set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
3. For filling, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chocolate chips until melted. Transfer to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
4. In a large bowl, beat the shortening and butter until fluffy. Beat in chocolate mixture and vanilla.
5. Spread chocolate filling on the bottoms of half of the cookies, about 2 tablespoons on each; top with remaining cookies. Roll sides in miniature chocolate chips for garnish. Sift cocoa on top and store in the refrigerator.
6. Yield: about 1 dozen.