Saturday, April 9, 2011
Dark Shadows Baileys Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies
"For most men, time moves slowly, oh so slowly, they don't even realize it. But time has revealed itself to me in a very special way. Time is a rushing, howling wind that rages past me, withering me in a single, relentless blast, and then continues on. I've been sitting here passively, submissive to its rage, watching its work. Listen! Time, howling, withering!"
-- Barnabas 1967
Ingredients for Brownies:
5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup lightly toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped (optional)
Ingredients for cheesecake batter:
1 (8 ounce) package of cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon Baileys Irish Cream
Directions for cheesecake batter:
1. Place the cream cheese, sugar, egg yolk and Baileys Irish Cream in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth.
Directions for Brownies:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with cooking spray. To make removing the brownies easy, line the pan lengthwise and widthwise with two 7-by-12-inch sheets of parchment paper or aluminum foil, shiny side up, and use the overhang as handles.
2. Place the chocolate in a small heatproof bowl and set in a wide pan or skillet of hot water. Set aside for 5 minutes, stirring 4 to 5 times, and let it melt completely. Stir until smooth. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt until well blended. Set aside.
3. With a stand or hand mixer set on low speed, beat the butter and sugar in a medium bowl until well blended. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until fully blended, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl as necessary. Beat in the vanilla until blended. Alternately blend the dry ingredients and the melted chocolate into the egg mixture in increments. Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, fold in the walnuts. Stop when the ingredients are just blended. Scrape the batter into the prepared baking pan and spread evenly. Set aside.
4. Place large spoonfuls of the cheesecake mixture on top of the chocolate mixture and, using a butter knife, swirl to partially combine.
5. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until set (do not over-bake).