Wednesday, March 16, 2011
Rizogalo (Rice Pudding) And A Cookbook Giveaway
I've recently been given the opportunity to review The Everything Mediterranean Diet Book. If you have made the decision to make changes in your eating pattern, then this fabulous book has all you need to lose weight and stay healthy.
Even though I have chosen to make a dessert, because that's the way I roll, this book contains a vast assortment of healthy recipes using fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. So if you would like to win a copy of this book, be a follower and leave a comment. A random winner will be chosen midnight of March 31st.
8 cups milk
1 cup Arborio rice
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
1 tablespoon finely shredded citrus zest (orange, lemon, or lime)
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup cold milk
1 tablespoon corn flour (optional)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. In pot over moderately high heat, bring milk to slight boil. Add rice and stir well until boil returns. Reduce heat to medium-low and gently simmer uncovered 30 minutes. Make sure to stir regularly so milk does not congeal or stick to sides and/or bottom of pot.
2. Add sugar, vanilla, and citrus rind; continue to simmer and occasionally stir another 10 minutes.
3. Beat egg yolks with cold milk; whisk in corn flour and mix well.
4. After 10 minutes in Step 2, pour egg yolk mixture into pot; whisk well to incorporate. Simmer another 3-5 minutes, until thick.
5. Remove from heat. Using ladle, spoon out mixture into bowls. Let stand 1 hour to cool. Sprinkle with cinnamon and garnish with curls of shaved citrus rind.
6. Serves 6-8.