Tuesday, March 8, 2011
Baileys Chocolate Pot de Crème
Yes, this is divine to gaze upon. Yes, it tastes fabulous. And yes the chocolate butterfly from Fancyflours makes it look worthy of any 5-star restaurant.
6 ounces milk chocolate, finely chopped
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/2 cup of Baileys Irish Cream
1 ½ cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup sugar
5 large egg yolks
Whipped cream and chocolate butterflies, for garnish (Optional)
1. In a large heatproof bowl, melt the chocolates.
2. In a medium saucepan, bring the Baileys, heavy cream and sugar to a boil, whisking constantly until the sugar is dissolved. Put aside and let cool for five minutes.
3. In a medium heatproof bowl, whisk the egg yolks. Then gradually whisk the egg-and-cream mixture in a saucepan and cook over moderate heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the custard coats the back of the spoon, about 4 minutes. Pour the custard over the chocolate and let stand for 2 minutes, then stir until smooth.
4. Transfer the mixture to a blender and puree until very smooth, about 1 minute. Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer into eight 4-ounce ramekins and refrigerate until chilled, 2 hours.
5. Let the pots de crème stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.