Tuesday, February 22, 2011
Wicked Banana Cream Pie Cupcakes
Vacationing is frickin' exhausting. Yet, exhilarating, all at the same time. But, mostly exhausting. It's been hard to get back to baking. But I have made the ultimate sacrifice and mixed up a food-porn cupcake for you to ogle. Yeah, I'm a real trooper.
I give thanks to Bakers Royale for this wonderful recipe.
Preparation: Line cupcake pan with liners. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
Ingredients for Vanilla Cupcakes:
2 cups of unbleached all-purpose flour
1 ½ cup granulated sugar
1/2 t baking powder
¼ t baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups unsalted butter, softened
3 large eggs
1 ½ tablespoons vanilla extract
¾ cup sour cream
½ cup milk
Ingredients for Banana Cream Pie Filling:
1 ½ bananas, plus 1/2 banana for divided use
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
¼ cup corn starch
½ cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
¼ kosher salt
Ingredients for Coconut and Pecan Graham Cracker Crust:
1 ½ cup graham cracker crumbs
½ cup sweetened coconut shreds, toasted
½ cup pecans
½ cup sugar
8 tablespoons butter, melted
Ingredients for Whip Cream Frosting:
2 cups of whip cream
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions for Vanilla Cupcakes:
1. Sift flour, baking powder and baking soda; set aside. Place butter and sugar in a bowl and beat on medium high speed until mixture becomes light and fluffy. Add in salt and beat until combined. Add in eggs one at a time and beat until combined. Add in vanilla and beat until combined.
2. Turn off mixer. Combine sour cream and milk until smooth. Using a sturdy spatula or a wooden spoon, add in sour cream mixture and flour mixture, alternating in thirds. Fold in each rotation, beginning with the sour cream and ending with the flour mixture, mixing each rotation until just combined.
3. Fill cupcake liner two-thirds full. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 20-25 minutes.
Directions for Banana Cream Pie Filling:
1. Place all ingredients in food processor bowl or blender and process to combine. Pour mixture into a saucepan over medium heat and cook until mixture starts to bubble, making sure to constantly whisk. Continue to cook mixture until it thickens, about 5 – 7 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
Directions for Whip Cream Frosting:
1. Place whip cream, sugar and vanilla in a chilled bowl. Using a whisk or a hand mixer beat whip cream on low until it starts to bubble. Increase speed to medium high and continue to beat until cream almost doubles in size and is smooth and creamy.
Directions for Coconut and Pecan Graham Cracker Crumbs:
1. Place graham cracker crumbs, toasted coconut shreds, toasted pecans and sugar in a food processor bowl and pulse to crumble. Alternatively, you can place all ingredients in a baggie use a rolling pin to crumble the mixture. Add melted butter and mix to combine.
1. Using a serrated melon baller or knife, dig out a well in the middle of each cupcake and fill with banana cream filling. Frost with whip cream to preference. Rim frosting with coconut and pecan graham cracker mixture by placing crumbs in your hand and pressing it into the sides. Finish by drizzling caramel sauce on top.