It's time to splurge on rich red velvet. So imagine if you can the most luscious red velvet cake you've ever tasted... then try this decadent twist. You won't be disappointed!
Ingredients for Souffle:
1 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 (4 ounce) bittersweet chocolate baking bar, chopped
5 large eggs, separated
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon red liquid food coloring
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Ingredients for Whipped Sour Cream:
3/4 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons sugar
Directions for Souffle:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom and sides of 6 (8 ounce) ramekins with butter. Lightly coat with 3 tablespoons sugar, shaking out excess. Place on baking sheet.
2. Microwave chocolate in a large microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 1 minute to 1 minute and 15 seconds, or until melted, stirring at 30-second intervals. Stir in 4 egg yolks, 1/3 cup sugar, and next 3 ingredients. (Discard remaining egg yolk.)
3. Beat 5 egg whites and salt at high speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until foamy. Gradually add 2 tablespoons sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold egg white mixture into chocolate mixture, one-third at a time. Spoon into prepared ramekins. Run tip of thumb around edges of ramekins, wiping clean and creating a shallow indentation around edges of mixture. (This will help the souffles rise.)
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 24 minutes or until souffles rise and are set. (A long wooden pick inserted in center will have a few moist crumbs.) Dust with powdered sugar; serve immediately with Whipped Sour Cream.
Directions for Whipped Sour Cream:
1. Beat together all ingredients at medium high speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer 45 seconds or just until lightly whipped and pourable. Serve Whipped Sour Cream immediately.
Recipe adapted from Southern Living.